View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 02:28 PM

I started a separate thread for this topic, but I thought it deserved to be on this thread too.

Brian

The W573 set has always been identified as a 1922 issue, but the Type 3 card of Al DeVormer shown below conclusively points to a 1923 issue date for Type 3 cards, as Al was traded from the Yankees to the Red Sox on January 3rd, 1923. By the way, 1923 was the final major league year for DeVormer until 1927, when he played for the New York Giants (and thankfully the card designates this info in pencil on the front for everyone to see and reflect upon).

Just another cool aspect about these W573 sets, and I guess it could matter to the rookie collectors out there. For example Goose Goslin's rookie cards are considered to be in the 1922 E120 American Caramel and the W573 set. Goose has been confirmed in W573 Type 1 and Type 3, but only his Type 1 card would be issued in the same year as his E120, and Type 3 would have been issued the next year. Gabby Hartnett has his first cards in the W573 Type 2 and 1922 E120 American Caramel sets, but if his Type 3 card were to ever surface, it would have to be considered to be issued in the following year, and thus not officially a rookie card. And the same goes for Pie Traynor (whose has a single W573 card showing up in the SGC Pop report, but without an image I can't designate which Type it is, so he currently remains unconfirmed in all 3 W573 Types ).

Shown below is the Al DeVormer W573 Type 1 and W573 Type 3. Note the updated Boston team designation on the Type 3 card.