View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Mark:

Spot on. Thank you for demonstrating this.

I have purchased thousands of comics and periodicals over the past 14 years on eBay. I have seen hundreds of cases where the combination of a curled corner, a shadow and pixilation creates the appearance of a very rounded corner, and when it is in hand it is not bad at all. And on eBay, “Near Mint” descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Further, there are restorative techniques such as leafcasting that can infill areas of paper loss. If the color match is good, it is very difficult to detect.

I can’t say with 100% certainty these photos are the same item. But I think the likelihood of it being the same item and the difference being due to the explanation above is much higher than the likelihood of JSA missing a copy of a ballpoint signed and personalized photo.

Additionally, if it was a copy, how did they make a copy onto “old” photostock? Even the supposedly “near mint” newer version is still has signs of aging such as crazing.

In his zeal to post another “gotya” and collect some “attaboys,” I believe the OP didn’t think this one through.

i never said i knew which one was a copy, i asked what was going on, and opinions came in. I didn't say the jsa one was bad, or the psa one was bad, i said I believed one of them to be a copy.