View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 PM
d.ean

I am enjoying the stories

1981-82 - The VFW in Dale City, Virginia. I caught the advertisement in the local rag (Potomac News - now defunct I believe). I was feeling rather euphoric from finally completing the 726 cards in the 1981 set so the idea of an actual show sounded pretty cool. I had spent close to $100, in wax and frequenting one of the few baseball cards stores in the area (in Sprinfield, VA) in an effort to complete the 1981 set. So, I head over to the local VFW and walk into the show. I believe admission was free. The promoter had his own table, and I picked up my first T206 card (Hanifan Jersey City - $10). I had no clue what to buy, I was a current year new wax guy but I thought the card was cool. Picked up 1955 Topps cards of Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron. Again, good price and name recognition and I didn't have a card of that age. I was not thinking about sharp corners and centering. The cards just struck a cord. Well, after those three purchases, I proceed to peruse the other tables. A sign screamed from one of the dealer tables "1981 Topps complete set collated - $19.00." Whhaaat? I just dropped close to $100 on wax and having to frequent the most dimly lit, dankest card store in the area in hopes of finding cards of Dennis Lamp, Kiko Garcia and Glenn Borgmann? I could have simply dropped $20 and been done? That was when I stopped buying wax and trying to putting together sets. I just bought the complete set outright. I saved money and it cut down on having hundreds of commons as well.

Wish I knew then, what I know now. Good times nonetheless.