View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Cameron Crafton

Default Buyer Beware: Fake 1951 Bowman on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Bowman-...item2ec911b5a4

Now, I believe this card to be a pretty blatant fake for two reasons. The picture itself looks almost flawless compared to an authentic one: all of the clouds line up in the same positions, all of the creases in the jersey are the same, the cap is green under the flap, the sky is the correct color, and Mantle is in the correct position, however, if you look along the bottom of the picture on the front, the end of the trees and bushes are all lined up perfectly with one another. An authentic 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle would never have it lined up so perfectly, mainly because at the time they just didn't have the capabilities to do so. The ink would spill past the border, and they would never be lined up as they are on this card.

Second, if you look at the bidding history, its pretty obvious that 0***0 is bidding the item up and is a fake account as it only has a 5 feedback rating and has bid on the item 6 times in order to increase the what the seller is going to get from the card.

Not to mentions the seller himself only has a feedback score of 11, and claims to have received the card from his dad back in 1979, but he doesn't know rather its real or fake, but he does believe it to be real. That story is almost as overused as the "I found this in a yard sale, so I don't if its real or fake but I believe its real."

I could be mistaken however, and if this is an authentic card then it is one hell of a steal...however I believe that it is the seller who is in fact getting the steal on this one by selling this blatant fake for what it is selling it for.