View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Marc

I collect and enjoy modern cards as well. I feel that some of the modern sets are very well done and extremely interesting. I think that a lot of responses reflect the way cards were when that person first started collecting so there will of course be that nostalgic feeling of wanting things to be like they were in the good old days.

The biggest difference to me is that collecting used to be player-based. Even during my childhood in the 80s, I bought packs hoping to get a Cal Ripken or George Brett or Nolan Ryan card. There were no inserts or chase cards so it was all about getting my favorite players and completing sets. Now, collecting is mostly product-based. Your pack or box is only a success if you hit a high-dollar, low-numbered chase card. My favorite modern set is always Bowman Chrome, I think because it is still very player-based with all the rookies.

I think the combination of the product-based sets and the lack of connection to today's players that Leon and others mentioned, has caused countless longtime collectors to abandon the modern sets and look backwards to the vintage. I don't think there really is a solution to this. The game and the cards will continue to evolve in ways that will draw some people in and alienate others. Me...I love pretty much all cards so will continue to collect everything. But I completely understand why others feel differently.