View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 AM

Default ethical question....

Hello,

A year or so ago I had a package from a major auction house lost in the mail. The package had a tracking #, and after it was stuck at a facility for days, both parties (myself and the auctionhouse) went through great lengths to try to track it down.

Myself, the auctionhouse, and the shipper agreed that the package was lost. I received a refund (very quickly, I might add) from the company and I believe the company was reimursed by the shipper for the amount the package was insured for.

Over the year, I have checked various sites off and on for several of the items that were in the package as some were one-of-a-kind items. Well, it just so happens that an auction that recently closed (no, not REA) had several lots of items that may or may not have been what was lost in the mail.

It is Sunday morning, and home from a church, I feel bad I didn't notice or check this auction before it closed. I just left a message with the company I won these from last year and informed them that I may or may not have found what was "lost" in the mail.

Should I contact the company that just sold some of the items that were similar to what I had lost in the mail, or is it the responsibility of the company that originall sold these items since they had to go to great lengths to file an insurance claim?

I really don't care one way or another because both I and the previous company didn't lose any many, just a lot of time trying to track my package down.

But, if my package was not "lost" in the mail, someone has to be notified.