View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Am a low-grade collector (compared to typical N54 guys) who has 6 cards I've paid more than $100 for, with only my $450 DiMaggio above $150.

Here is where I do feel impacted...just not in the tens of thousands like others of you.

1. Had once imagined owning certain White Whale cards like a 52T Mantle. While the AHs dealt with the high grade ones, the prices of those definitely dragged the low end ones up with them.

2. Still hoping to own a 33G Ruth and 34G Gehrig. Reliant on TPGs to assure authenticity. But if ethics are that low, who knows...

3. Ditto for card doctoring.

4. While not necessarily the cause, the same bidding practices seen with Mastro are probably taking place with even the $25-$50 items I've won thru high volume eBay auctioneers. Greed is greed.

5. Though I don't buy as an investment or with any intent to sell, if scandals like this pop the card bubble, my own modest collection gets dragged down with it.

At the same time, show me anything that involves millions of dollars that hasn't already been completely corrupted. Doesn't make it right...just means it's no shock.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/