View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Have they all been autographed?
I have only seen one other example and originally couldn't remember where I saw it. But then I checked out this very thread and realized I'd seen that other example right here; Howard had posted a pic of his spectacular Horne's Clemente! Like mine, it contained a facsimile signature. So admittedly we have a small sample size of 2 for me. Howard has said he's seen a couple other copies and may be able to clarify further. But it begs the question: If Clemente was making an appearance and presumably signing his picture, why have a facsimile signature on the picture he's signing? Unless...maybe there were 2 versions: one to sign and give out, and one to give out after the Clemente had left the store?

Lost to time is probably the interesting story about which came first: the Horne's version or the Jay Publishing version. If players started making appearances at Horne's in 1958 as indicated by Howard's research, that's about the time coinciding with the Jay Publishing Pirates release, which again, lacked the facsimile signature. And it's the same image, but why use a tighter shot on the Horne's version? Again, these details are probably lost to time!