View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Ed McCollum

Default I finally found a photo of Howe McCormick

Actually, two.

Since I started my quest more than five years ago to reassemble his collection, I've joined Ancestry.com and used several other places to find out as much about him as I could. But none of them ever had any photos, other than a website that specializes in images of grave markers, where I found he and wife Thelma's markers in Gainesville.

But yesterday, during one of my frequent "scan Google for anything new about Howe McCormick" searches, a website came up that listed the Alachuan year book for 1913 (Gainesville High School). He was listed as a member of the class of '16, which basically means he was a 16-year-old freshman. The first image was just a class photo, with no real order to who was who in the photo. But the orchestra photo listed him as the trombone player, which made it easy to figure out which one he was in both images.

Unfortunately, that is the only year he appeared in any yearbook. By 1915, his younger sister Bessie was listed as "pre-shool member", which I take to mean either middle school or junior high. Her photo is definitely not what we would consider pre-school today.

But finally a face to associate with the 231 cards I've been able to reassemble. Thanks to Adam (gradedcardman) for the addition of #231 earlier this week.

Orchestra photo OrchestraMembers_zps7a35fc3c.jpg

Class of 1916 photo Classof16Photo_zps18e35f42.jpg