View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM
John

Default Columbia Team

Let me create a little controversy regarding the Columbia, SC team...

I reviewed the entire 1910 season in Columbia's newspaper, The State. Day in and day out, the team was always referred to as the Blues, never the Gamecocks. On occasion they did scrimmage the Gamecocks of the University of South Carolina. Knowing that SABR and other resources refer to them as the Gamecocks, I decided to check out the 1909 season. There I found they were called the Chicks. Then on to 1911, they were called the Comers. (I later read an article from 1922 that explained a fan contest was held in 1911 to name the team. The winning name was the Commissioners, which was quickly shortened to Comers. Strange name for a baseball team.)
I've shared my research on the 1910 Columbia team with SABR. It appears they've updated some records, but may have stuck with the name Gamecocks. I'm convinced the name changed several times in those years. I'll probably head back to the library to dig a little further. It really doesn't make sense that both the college and pro teams would be called the Gamecocks.

John