View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 07:46 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
I can help on page 12 now, and will look at the other pages tomorrow. The Maeda on the 2 cards is not Maeda. It is once again Hisanori Karita, player-mgr. of the Flyers. The combo card says: Flyers on the 1st line and Karita manager, Shiraki pitcher on the second line. His solo card says Tokyu Karita. The kanji for Kari and Mae are very similar, especially with these weird fonts that were used on many bromides, and are easily confused. You are quite right on Nagamochi, and the other player is SS Sadayuki Minagawa who was only on the Flyers in 1948. The card says Minagawa Kyuei, and 1948 is the only year that the Flyers were the Kyuei Flyers.
Hi Jeff, and thanks again! I really should have known Karita, as he was pointed out earlier. Each player that I identify (or someone identifies for me) goes in a notebook, where the names (about 200 of them now) are sorted by initial kanji character. If I can't find it that way, I try my luck sketching the names into Google Translate, which is hit or miss. If I don't recognize one of the kanji characters, though, which happens more often with the handwriting or stylized fonts, my notebook doesn't help much.

This project certainly has been an education. I feel that I am still in the very shallow end of the pool but do feel I'm moving in the right direction....