View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 07:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
Yes, I have been to a few. The NHRA used to come to Memphis Motorsports Park as part of their season from '88 thru 2009 as the Mid-South Nationals then the O-Reilly Auto Parts Mid-South Nationals. That being local I want from '88 thru '90 and then sporadically until the NHRA dropped this race on the circuit. Really fun seeing Snake in his last years in the funny car, Eddie Hill in TF, McCulloch, etc. Nothing like how you can walk around in the pits and watch, and even interact with the drivers. Also went up to the HHRA race just outside St. Louis a few years ago. A lot of fun, but I just don't enjoy the new cars. I am hoping to get up to Bowling Green, KY for the Holley Hot Reunion in the next couple of years. They run nostalgia cars and also have a cackle-fest at the end where some of the old funny cars and dragsters from back in the day come out for an exhibition. You should definitely hit Gainesville some day, an NHRA event is definitely an experience. Take your hearing protection, there is nothing like the sound.
That would have been great for sure as I clearly remember those guys. Always loved Eddie Hill and his wife, Ercie. They were jovial people who just loved life.

Nowadays, because I rarely get to watch any, I am not even sure who the top guys are anymore. Force, of course, and likely a few other names I'd recognize but that is likely it?

It's too bad they closed Sanair years ago in Quebec due to the new leaded fuel laws. One NHRA event a year cost the area thousands and thousands, if not millions, in revenue. Just stupid, imo.

The top alcohol event I went to years ago was pretty loud so ear plugs were required there as well, but I can only imagine TF.
Shockwave, the 3 jet engine Peterbilt semi was there and every time he burped the throttle, it felt like someone was thumping you in the chest.
https://youtu.be/t_inFieJhVQ?t=100

Last edited by irv; 06-28-2022 at 09:03 PM.