View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting the HOF - ever lose your passion?

Posted By: nbrazil

i say collect what you like. a lot of people have dropped set and HOF collecting to do something similar to the "nifty fifty" or "top 25" that has been described in this forum several times. I thought about it following that trend...but, I truly do enjoy HOF collecting. It helps me with focus...and it allows me to explore the history of the game...from its origins all the way to the present. there are some players i have never seen play...or even would care to see play...but, it's fun learning about them and also seeing what cards they have. I ditched the HOF ROOKIE collection a few months ago...instead ive done something similar to what Mark has done...collect my favorite card of each HOF'er. That's allowed me to view all the cards ever made for each HOF'er...and choose one to my liking. This was a great exercise as it exposed me to sets i have never seen or considered before.

the expense is a big issue...but, there are many attractive cards of each HOFer...in low grade...that are not expensive at all. I try to find a balance. if i want a cobb d304...i balance that out and get a cheaper card of, say, cy young.

change your focus. when it comes to a point where you are simply not happy with your collection...because it is too expensive or simply doesnt get you going...you have to stop...think about your initial motives for pursuing these collecting goals...and adjust if needed. the great thing about this hobby is (knock on wood) if you decide to refocus, you can recoup a decent percentage of your initial investment. cant say that about a lot of other hobbies.