View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default OT: Ebay Seller Strike

Posted By: 1880nonsports

as always you right on the money. Seller gets paid with good funds he leaves feedback. I do so immediately. Buyers are the core of a seller's business. Like Barry said a little love goes a long way. You can't worry about what might be going on in another person's mind as long as you did the right thing.
JimC - wow. Perhaps a bit shortsighted?
Feedback is essential (at least initially) to the system. You say 42 or 4200 - doesn't matter to you. Funny as that's a bit counter-intuitive. You want such and such guarantees from all the auction houses and grading companies about their practices and whatever. You are concerned with the INTEGRITY of the system. You have said you won't buy from such and such dealer or auction house unless they blah blah blah.... I agree - support - applaud the concept. On eBay one can actually SEE not only the current offerings - but the COMMENTARY on their past transactions - something you can't do with an auction house. **I imagine you look at a seller's feedback before you buy your cards.** Don't you want those numbers and comments to acurately reflect the transactions? If you don't participate in the process I think you are devalueing the numbers. As for the annonimity issue - I think you must be kidding? Usually the title and prices sold implies most of the salient information. If one knows your eBay ID - they can simply do a search - as your ID is attached the item when you are the winning bidder. Only difference is that one could actually see item/description for a slightly longer period of time.
Protection tips for the seller - charge the buyer ACTUAL amount for the services you offer - delivery c. - signature - whatever. There aren't many issues to leave a buyer a negative feedback about - didn't pay - funds were no good, Granted it's annoying and time consuming to go thru the NPB process and unwieldy as well - so if eBay shores this up a bit in tandem with the current policy - some of the apprehension over the new rule might be lessened. I think one should be able to leave a neg for the buyer - but don't see not being able to do so a problem IF eBay takes a stronger stance on non-paying bidders. In the long haul - if MORE bad buyers are weeded out (no you can't get rid of them ALL - they are sort of like cockroaches) - the apprehension felt by sellers over this will abate. It's really all about doing the deal.
As for the buyer - it's all about them - as it should be. They need the protection and feeling of safety. Buyers and sellers need each other. We need each other. Let's try and get along. I'm an eBay collectaholic for life. Says so on my credit card.
EricB - "why would any seller be proactive (accept returns, etc) when they know they buyer will still leave bad feedback." Just to re-confirm my position - Sellers (successful sellers anyway) offer these guarantees to make the buyer feel better about bidding/buying and ultimately realizing a higher price for the item. I guess it depends on one's personal selling philosophy and strategies. Good item - good description - good feedback - willingness to stand behind the product - priceless.
My last thought is that I really don't care as a buyer about getting feedback - EXCEPT that it's an emotional issue. When I bid on something I'm gonna pay for it and don't really care if the seller is sweating thru the transaction because I might have low feedback. It bugs me that the seller isn't leaving it for me but that's about it. On the opposite side - as a seller - if I did what should be done - and the idea of feedback based safety is an issue - dabnabit the buyer should leave me the feedback............

(small edit for clarity although that might just be a dream deferred)