View Single Post
Old 09-29-2023, 02:35 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I really don't understand why there's all this hate about "manufactured rarity". I collect records. There's the standard store bought version, then there are tour versions and colored vinyl versions and alternate covers and all kinds of different variations of the same thing, all collectible in their own way.

Is there anything different about a colored vinyl version of a record and a refractor card?
For me, the overproduction of sets (and manufactured rarity within each set) is a turnoff because it makes it practically and financially difficult to collect even the base cards of a favorite player(s). If you happen to be a completionist with an unhealthy compulsion to chase rainbows, forget it. The only winning move is not to play.

I'm also disappointed that we've moved from a "junk wax" era of overproducing everything to a "junk rainbow" era of giving the appearance of limited production by playing with the color palette and releasing countless subsets. Last year, we had Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Chrome Sapphire, Bowman Draft, Bowman Draft 1st Edition, Bowman Draft Sapphire, Bowman Chrome X, Bowman Platinum, Bowman Sterling. And that's before we even get to plain ol' Topps, with regular, Chrome (Platinum, Cosmic, Black, Logofractor, Sapphire, Ben Baller), Inception, Heritage, Archives, Gold Label, Gallery, Gilded, Museum, Opening Day, Rip, Ginter (regular, Chrome, X), etc. etc. etc.

I've seen numerous Facebook group discussions lately about which colored chrome parallels are worth chasing (1st Bowman and RCs only, of course). These conversations are never about what's visually appealing, but rather about what will hold value for resale. The consensus seems to be that the "original" refractors like red and gold will hold their value, but it's best to flip the aqua-lava-shimmer-tacofractors soon after release to leave less savvy investors holding the bag.

It takes all the fun away when it's less about the artistry and more about finding the next mark. I understand that this is all inevitable whenever there's demand and the perception of scarcity, but modern collecting gives me Wolf of Wall Street vibes that make me feel dirty. Earlier this year, a breaker lit a Niko Goodrum 1/1 on fire for a customer who was upset that it wasn't a bigger name. At that point, it's no longer about sports collectibles at all; it's pure degenerate gambling. And the card companies fuel it by pricing their products so that third-party breakers are the only entry point for many, turning the hobby into an expensive raffle.