View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Doug Goodman

I'm not exactly sure why there are two threads on this topic, but here are my thoughts :

I agree with everything that drumback and bicem said in the other thread http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20, although I actually have mine stored in these albums http://www.misterart.com/display-pre...play-book.html instead of toploaders.

The incredibly overpriced items listed on ebay have been there for a very long time which illustrates how overpriced they are. Every collector of this issue has seen those listings over and over, and many of us have made (what we consider) better than fair offers, only to be turned down, illustrating that the seller is in no hurry to sell, and may not actually want to sell at all.

I have 96 of the 100 in the set (I also have 34 of the 62 in the m101-1 set), and the 4 that I need have been staring at me on ebay for as long as I can remember, with prices set at an amount that will make the (minimal) listing fees well worth paying if somebody gets drunk enough to hit the buy-it-now button after winning the lottery.

If you want to get a pretty good idea of what the market thinks is a fair price, put them on ebay with a $1 starting bid and set the reserve at the price of the (eternally) listed (always destined to be) unsold ones. The bidding will end somewhere in the middle, then you will know what they are "worth".

Edited to add : I now see that mdallen22 isn't trying to sell, but is hoping to buy the ones listed on ebay.

Give it up Mike, those aren't really for sale.

Take care,
Doug

PS - as mentioned by others in this thread, I don't think that actual collectors of this issue tend to care about the opinion of grading companies, the people who care about such opinions are the people who care only about the "value" of their items and think that paying for an opinion might get them more "value".

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-10-2016 at 03:59 PM.