View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Competition for "Most Amazing Sunset"

Posted By: Jason L

This turned out to be a much cooler thread than I ever expected!
Where do I start? I address specific posters below, but as some questions that all could chime in on...

JimB, I agree with you on the Lajoie w/bat - my fave T206 as well...you don't have an extra SGC40 laying around, by chance?

Andy, that Pattee horizontal - it would appear that he has a dinosaur graveyard behind him...-weird trees?

Scot, you asked about the Burch Brooklyn background being specifically authentic to Brooklyn's skyline...it doesn't look like it, because I would hazard a guess that it's the same background as the Daley, Los Angeles PCL Obak that Brian put up in a later post!

Dave/Asphalt, your post of Duffy (Chi Amer) is interesting. Did Duffy have a weird, last-second batting grip that has been documented anywhere?? - because that is what the artist appears to be depicting here, with only one hand on the bat while in his stance.

T206, gorgeous cards...It looks as though Minneapolis is burning behind Cravath. Apparently Detroit is not the only city experiencing fires around that time! The Del Howard is amazing...many of the Cubs are depicted with that or a similar grandstand in the background.

Spike Shannon's card depicts tall industrial smoke stacks...in KC circa 1910?

OBAK Brian, WOW! Um....,thanks a lot...now I need to start collecting Obaks...needed that like another hole in the head. Those pics and colors are amazing - thanks for posting such a cool looking grouping. they look incredible.

T206 (again)...your McIntyre (Brooklyn&Chicago) - is that a rare variation? I have never seen McIntyre listed on any Cubs checklist...looks like I have an unexpected addition....ugh

This is tougher than I ever expected...I think my favorite so far is the Spokane Cartwright that Brian posted....amazing picture quality, neat grandstand, and has clouds.

To All,
Has there ever been any study into the backgrounds used? If they are supposed to be geographically correct to the team, if they are used for multiple players, or sets, etc??? And why are there so many depicting sunsets? would the players pose after games, at sunset? maybe it's just merely to make the pictures more interesting (more colors to use in a sunset than during the middle of a sunny day)...

thanks -this was cool. keep em coming...there's no end to the contest since there's no prize!