View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Default W502 Back Mystery

Posted By: David Smith

My meager contribution.

About 10 years ago, when I was heavily into beating the bushes for old cards, I found a group of 15 to 20 W502s, including Ruth and Gehrig. The original owner's Grandson had them in a little box.

The cards did not look hand cut to me and the printing was even, so I did not consider them a strip card. All the backs had either "Home Run", One Bagger", or the like on them but I do not remember what direction the words were written.

The guy had no clue what they were and said "$400" when I asked how much he wanted for them. I was ready to buy them but a friend of his (these guys were all 19 or 20 years old) said he would pay $400 just for the Ruth and Gehrig. I told him to think it over and I would be back in an hour because I had also found some B18 blankets to look at in the same small town.

I bought the blankets (nothing major) and returned to talk about the W502's but the guy was gone. I called a few times but the guy said he really didn't want to sell. I guess his friends got in his ear and convinced him the cards had to be worth more if I were willing to pay $400 right then and there.

I knew the cards weren't worth a whole lot more than what I offered because the guys Grandfather had written the team name on the backs in pencil plus the damage from handling over the years. I wanted the cards because of the Ruth and Gehrig plus there were a few other Hall of Famers.

Maybe I will pay a visit to that same small town and see if the cards are still around....

David