View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default T209-1 Contentnea survey

Posted By: Dylan

This is 100% a handstamp, but whether or not its an overprint all depends on how you define "overprint." D355 Niagra Baking is a handstamp, which in all likelihood wasn't part of the production process but added later by the store for their own purpose. Im sure the "old put" overprint is a handstamp too in the same way Niagra baking is. The set that I think is an exception is E94. The overprint is much more detailed and due to them all having similer designs but different advertisers, it leads me to believe the producer of the cards produced the overprint as well. The toy town stamp isnt a legitimate overprint as the stamp comes from a childs game and not from an advertiser. This is why random cards from multiple sets have the stamp. I think its likely that one person from a long time ago stamped their own cards with the toy town stam similer to how we find a persons initials placed on all their cards. According to your definition(i think) a card is only an overprint if the overprint was placed on the card by the original manufacturer of the card set. By that definition only the E94(if what i said above is true) would be a true "overprint" and everything else would be "handstamps." But to me this is all semantics. People value the old put and the Niagra baking because of their rarity and their connection to a legitimate advertiser. Whether the advertiser or the card producer placed it on the card is just details.