View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default E107 - Type I vs. Type II

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I had always considered the overprint back as something that BW used to distinqush their cards that they placed in caramel packaging from other sponsers who may have been using the e107s as well. Regardless of which, according to this theory, the overprint back would have been something added at the factory and before the cards were even packaged. However, wouldn't one think that because BW was the main sponser, you would see more of these overprint backs than you do?

Now take a look at this Yeunglings Gehrig....

Before you all yell at me for steering this thread O/T....have we considered that we may be wrong in our approach in determining the origins of this overprint? As you can see, the Gehrig has a stamp on it due to a promotion that the company ran at one point where the card was stamped when redeemed for ice cream products.

What if this theory holds true for Breisch-Williams? Is it possible that they could have held a promotion of their own where kids turned in the cards for more candy, and cards that were turned in were stamped with the "Overprint" back upon redemption?

In the case of this Gehrig, it is in itself a very scarce card as very few Yeunglings survived with this stamp. They could have been gathered up at some warehouse and then disposed of. Perhaps this is why we see so few e107s with the overprint back? In addition, perhaps because of promotions such as these, this is why we see so few e107s compared to other caramel sets in general. Maybe BW ran this promotion for several months or even years. That would have sucked up a lot of the cards in circulation since kids would have been constantly handing them back in.

In addition to the reasons above. Maybe the reason why type 2 cards have appeared with this back but not the "150 Subjects" back is that kids also cut these off of candy boxes or wherever they came from and had these stamped as well at one point?

I was just sitting at work this morning when all this just sort of came to me. It would explain a few BIG questions involving e107s as a whole (ie...why are there so few of them compared to other caramel sets...why is the overprint back so rare....why do type 2's exist with the overprint but seemingly not the "150 Subjects" back"? ...etc)

I'm sure there is some sort of logic I am missing though. Any thoughts??