View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 11:48 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Ed, good to hear your perspective.

I was probably a bit harsh when I made my comments earlier in this thread.

I am no “Newb” when it comes to this set and non-sports cards. I have owned a few near sets of this series and like most I needed the Brown and a few others when I was pursuing the set.

I know the set is popular and has had its loyal following for quite some time and I have sold several cards to Cliff and others to help them out with their sets and knew the cards that were considered “tough” cards (or buy “buy if you ever see them” cards)

I am just shocked that any card from a series like this (even with the baseball connection) could ever bring this type of money. The price point that this is going for is just completely unprecedented in the non-Big 4 sports card or Non-Sports card world. Other than baseball cards (and a select few hockey cards) there is just nothing in the entire T-card (or C-card) era that has ever come close to this type of pricing, and that includes crazy rarities like the Kopec Jack Johnson. Just a level of interest that really shocked a seasoned collector of both Sports and Non-Sports cards of many years.

Nobody is happier about some of the “outside of the mainstream” sets getting the recognition they probably deserve than I am. These are the kind of sets that I really love.

On a related note:
I found what I believe to be the only known large advertising poster (actually on thick stock) for the T227 set a few years back. When I shared that there was only a certain small number of people seemed to care which is maybe why I felt taken aback by the response to this rarity. I just didn’t realize there were that many T227 set collectors beyond the baseball and Jack Johnson cards that typically sold for pretty good money.
can you share a picture of the poster? would like to see that. thanks!