View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 06:26 PM

Default Cabaņas 1909 (3)

Now I continue with the "Cabaņas Cigars" cards. Now I am going to tell you something that may not interest you but everything is related. My father when I was a child took me every Sunday to the Cerro stadium to watch the double game and see my team that was Almendares, he knew many players and that is why I met many when he introduced them to me, one day I see that an older man touches his shoulder and immediately I see that they greeted each other in a friendly way and talked at the end, my father tells me: Rolo, I introduce you to my friend "El Pajaro Cabrera" we greet each other but I was somewhat confused. my father: why do they call him "bird" he immediately replies "because he was flying between the bases." Now we continue, in the 80s as I told you in previous writings I collected various things, one day a neighbor called me on the phone and told me that he had something to show me, I told him to bring it to my house, when he arrived I see that he brings one Old shoe box, when he opens it I see that it is full of cards, that I did not collect, he tells me there are about 400, I begin to review them and I see that it has many themes and they are from the "Cabaņas Cigars" factory. film artists and a collection of patriots from the 1895 War of Independence including Jose Marti and all the generals etc this was all in relief and gold color, when I continue I see a group in blue, red and gray colors, but I see that they are baseball players, I was not interested, and in that reading the names I see that a card said: Alfredo "Pajaro" Cabrera, at that moment I remembered the meeting I had had with him several decades ago, and at that moment I felt a certain interest for those cards, I ask him What was the price and I bought them, those were the first Cuban baseball cards that I had, they were among the 3 teams about 50 but some were repeated, that's why I explained to you at the beginning that this story is related, I asked the neighbor where He had found them and he told me that when he was passing by the corner he saw another of the neighbors who was going to throw that box along with other things in the garbage container on the corner and he asked him why he voted for those boxes and books and he replied, those