View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 05:25 PM

Default Punch 1910 (2)

Hello now I'm still with him Comment of the factories "Punch and Larrañaga" as we all know the first gift with cards of the players inside their cigarette packs, the cigarette manager Larrañaga in a meeting with the visiting players announced that if they beat Habana in the series and Almendares, they had an invitation to the factory and I would give them gifts, the Tigres won the series against the Cubans, but the Athletics lost, at the end of the series all the Detroit players went to the Larrañaga Factory, now I have a photo in front of me Of all of them dressed very elegantly with some of the gifts that were large bundles of the best cigars, Ty Cobb is seen smiling in front of them. Of that American series I know many anectdotes, but I will tell you some: Ty Cobb in that series could never steal any base, but in a game 3 times he tried but Bruce Petway took him out on two occasions and the third was Gervasio González, Cobb is Once he protested saying that the base was at a greater distance, then the judges sent to measure and it was found that he was 3 "further away, he immediately put himself in his place, but the out decision remained, Cobb in his first game hitting home. Rum, Mendez struck him out once, Chicho González removed him 3 times in a row without Cobb getting on base and in that game Chicho blanked Detroit. Pop Lloyd, in the series against Detroit he used shinguards on his legs, he said he saw the players sharpening the spikes and throwing themselves hard In another message I will continue and tell you how the first cards from this factory appeared and how they were collected according to how they appeared in 1983, which was when the first ones were seen.