View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 05:34 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Nope, doesn't upset me. Read what I wrote though. People can use expletives or they can carry on a civil conversation (use of profanity carries with it added meaning, doesn't it, because in this case it's basically telling a person that they are full of it, no?). Not interested in expletive-laced rants, which is what these conversations would lead to if I responded in kind. Simple as that. And he's not 100% spot on. The discussion was also not about the majority of people. My original response was based on what I interpreted as the context of quote I was originally referring to. And it's 100% correct. Again, if you asked anyone in the healthcare industry or someone that educates those in the healthcare industry, I believe they would support the statements I made.

Look at the response I got: "You can eat fairly healthy for the same cost as eating at McDonalds and getting trash every day." Low-income people cannot afford the cost of 3 combo meals from McDonalds for each of an average of 3-4 family members every day. Sure, if they had the money to spend $6-$10 per person per meal like they would spend at McDonalds, they indeed could eat healthier, and maybe the author of this comment can do that every day with their income. But I can assure you that a significant proportion of the U.S. population cannot spend that much money on individual meals. The argument is absurd and is not supported by the math.
If they are being honest they will tell you it is really because they are STUPID. Plain and simple the majority of poor people are poor because they are dumb. You can't expect them to magically make good food decisions when they do not have the ability to make intelligent decisions. As someone who grew up seriously poor and still has some seriously poor friends from the old neighborhood that is my real life observation.

Covid also seems to be a popular Thanksgiving acquisition.