View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 02:03 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

I think that there is far, far more "vintage" out there than anyone suspects. Probably more 1950's stuff than people think, but definitely more 1960's. There is no substantial shortage of Topps 1960's products, and absolutely no shortage of 1970's products. The really interesting thing to watch will be how bulk, low to mid-range cards fare in the coming decades. There will always be some completionists, but they are increasingly the exception. More and more people seem to be interested in projects (like team projects, or player projects, or all star game projects) than they are in just an old fashioned "complete set" of given years. There is certainly still a market for 1960's commons, but how long will that last? At some point, the sheer challenge of storing tens or hundreds of thousands of commons simply for others to use as set fillers becomes cost prohibitive. I also think that people just won't care as much. There will always be a market for Mantle and Mays and Aaron etc., but how long will there be a substantial market for, say, bulk 1964 Topps commons? I think that era is drawing to a close, generally speaking. At some point, I just wonder if even 1960's and 1970's commons are tossed as more trouble than they are worth.
Just an interesting thing to ponder in the coming decades.
kevin