Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 03:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I was looking at stats on boxerlist.com for Russell and Laughery. They both beat Mellody. The stats on boxerlist are different than the stats on the T218. Boxerlist does not show lots of no decisions. May be worth it's own thread at some point.
Congrats on another Tolstoi!

My understanding from my readings is that the issue is that some jurisdictions, like New York and Philadelphia, had repressive rules on boxing that essentially banned 'real' fights. Thus, every fight was a No Decision in these places because they were 'exhibitions' and there was no winner allowed to be formally named. 4, 6, 10 and 12 rounds seems to be the common round counts used for these bouts, though a lot of the newspapers seem to make clear that the boxers fought just as hard as in 'fully authorized' fights and they were not like the actual exhibitions put on by retired boxers to demonstrate technique. Boxrec and others try to use Newspaper decisions to catalog wins and losses, but this is a modern project.

If I am incorrect, someone please clarify and correct what I have said. I'm sure others know more fully.

Last edited by G1911; 08-22-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: a typographical correction was made.