View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 12:04 PM
Carl Lamendola

Default ID Help for a Boxer on a multisport issue?

I recently acquired a rare Jim Thorpe card that came on the back of candy box along with I assume three (or more) other famous
athletes. I've been collecting for almost 40 years and have never seen one. It reminds me of the R427 Joe Palooka boxes with famous boxers.

It appears to be part of a multi-sport set called Outstanding Events of All-American Sports. I did some research and determined by the side panel ad for a B&R rapid coin changer it probably from the late 1930/400s??, It kind of has a Sport Kings flavor to it. Many kids had newspaper routes and used carry changers when collecting for their route. So, it makes sense that a candy/toy would have this type of promotion for a 10 year old along with a famous athlete card as a bonus!

Since there are many advanced baseball collectors on this board I was hoping that someone had seen the baseball player and can help pin down the manufacturer and the date better. I'm also going to try the football, boxing, and basketball and non-sport boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (80.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (78.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (33.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (24.7 KB, 100 views)