View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Really great research, Charley Brown.

My very first BB cards I collected were the 48 cards in the 1947 Bond Bread issue. In 1947, my sister and I were pulling them from Bond Bread packages.
My recollection of this is very clear. Between the kids in our neighborhood, we had 100's of them and we were able to determine that 48 cards comprised
a complete set. These cards were available in the Spring/Summer of 1947 thru 1948.

However, I never saw any of the Jackie Robinson cards in our area. We grew up in Hillside (NJ) which was only 25 miles from NYC. So, as you stated, the
initial release of the Jackie Robinson card(s) must have been strictly limited to NYC.

TED Z
Thanks Ted! I believe that the distribution of the Jackie Robinson cards were limited to predominantly black neighborhoods.

Out of curiosity, did markets ever sell prepackaged bread by the slice?

This card was listed on eBay tonight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-BOND-BR...16.m2516.l5255

The Cardozo Market stamp is the second I've seen. The address puts Cardozo Market quite close to Howard University, which further verifies the availability of these cards in major cities. The stamp leads me to believe that the 2 groups of 6 were also distributed by the store owners, as was the first. However, what I'm trying to figure out is if the Cardozo Market store owner received the cards direct from Bond Bread to distribute to customers, or if he/she opened packages of bread to sell by the slice, and then stamped the card.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards