View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

As a general matter, bring primarily a post-war collector, with maybe 5% of my collection consisting of pre-war items, I’m not sure that this proposal troubles me unduly.

I do think as an amateur mathematician, having a scale that runs to 10 does give me an unsettling feeling knowing that the scale essentially skips straight up to 5, and lumps everything below it into a single category. But this might have as much to do with inertia and history as feeling that something is missing from the scale by skipping the first five grades entirely.

As a practical matter, the only way such a scale could ever be adopted in any serious fashion would be to start your own grading company and utilize this scale. And then get the entire industry to bail on the other grading companies by offering a superior product in every way. The current 1-10 scale is so deeply entrenched that even those that used to use other numbering methodologies (looking at you, SGC) have converted over to the 1-10 scale, with perhaps a few minor variations on that theme.

All of which is a long way of saying “Good luck, you’re going to need it!”

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel