View Single Post
Old 06-04-2023, 03:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default June 2023 Pickups

It's June 4th and no one has started a new pickups thread yet, so forgive me if I take up a little of the space that usually would've already been filled by members eager to show their newest finds.

Went to a show yesterday, and it was fantastic to get down and dirty at an endless supply of tables (99% of it shiny stuff!!). Based on the fervor of the "1967 Topps 6th Series" thread here in the post-war section, I ran across a guy selling individual semi-high numbers that were as close to 'pack fresh' as possible, so I jumped on them. They range from #459 to #518, and look suh-weet...

1967semihighsniceshape.jpg

Then I grabbed an oft-mentioned candidate for Cooperstown, high number #550 Vada Pinson, from the same seller. When you see a relatively cheap 1967 Topps #609 Tommy John (who happens to be the last card in that historic set) centering be damned, buying him is always the right move. Then I found a trio of upgrades to my binder sets, 1962 #169 Bob Cerv 'green tint' (a really tough one to find in nice shape), a pretty decent 1971 #50 Willie McCovey, and the first card from my favorite set of all-time, 1972 #1 Pirates World Champions. And since you can never have too many 1961 high numbers, I picked up a pair of really nice ones, #527 Gene Leek and #535 Larry Jackson...

6:23pickupshighnumbersmccoveycervGT.jpg

Now we hit the big time!!

Your eyes don't lie. I was on a negotiating rampage and ended up frickin' grabbing three/tre/trois/tres 1962 Topps #5 Sandy Koufaxeseseses (not sure how to pluralize his name, Koufaxi??) that were all recently graded (read "hammered") by PSA. Started my day with no slabbed versions, when I hit my pillow at night, had a trio. Weird. (If anyone is interested, they are available for trade). And ended the afternoon with another beautiful high number, 1961 Topps #579 Willie Mays.

What a great day all around...

1962koufax5ALL3psa1961mays579psa5.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 06-04-2023 at 10:47 PM.