View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 06:31 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
In my own collecting experience, I've seen enough scans at various auctions of lower grade cards to know that a scan can more often than not fail to present the full picture. In reality, I would imagine an AH simply scans each lot and moves onto the next scan, rather than scanning a card and pausing to evaluate whether the scan adequately showcases all the card's flaws, and then re-scanning or adjusting settings to accomplish that. I'd therefore simply put some onus on myself as a shopper if I was interested in the item, and call or email the AH to ask for some more details or images.

So yes, it could be any range of creases or wrinkles and learning the precise degree of wear would matter a great deal; I'd choose direct communication with the AH about the lot as the best route to obtaining that information.
Respectfully disagree that we should now have to reach out to the auction house to see if the scans provided accurately reflect the condition of the card. I mean it should not be that hard to get a scanner that picks up heavy creases like this.

This card was returned to the house for that exact reason and they did not take the time to make any effort? As I asked earlier, what else is hidden in their scans on other lots? Also, if this card is not worth their time putting more effort into then what is their threshold for value where they are a bit more conscientious?

They did refund the buyer, to their credit, but I think they have an all sales final policy like most houses. Burden is on them, imo.