View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 02:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Greetings. Mark and Scott have inspired me to share some of my Brooks Robinson "card" collection on this forum. I have decided to add something each week from Brooks' playing days that is part of the PSA Brooks Robinson Master Registry Set. Some of you do not like PSA / grading in general, which I get. I like the Set Registry process as it feeds my quest to find quality cards and compare where my collection is with others...a bit childish perhaps, but it keeps me busy. I also like "raw" cards. I have all the Topps Sets from 1951 - 2021 and Bowman 1948 - 1955 "raw." I enjoy looking, touching and upgrading those cards like many of you. Back to Brooks and the Registry. If you are not familiar, most players have a set on the PSA Registry. Brooks has a Basic Set, which includes his playing days from 1957 - 1977 that is mostly the regular Topps cards. Mixed in there is the 1960 Leaf and 1963 Fleer. (24 cards total...I am #3 on that list and is it competitive). The Master Registry includes 274 "items" including cards, pictures, hand cut items, test issues, panels, stamps, boxes, coins, coke caps, and stickers. Not everything is gradable. The item must have the player's picture and be about him. Each item must be graded by PSA and receives a "weighted score" between 1 - 10...10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest. Some items only grade "authentic" which is a 1 so the highest possible score on the Brooks Master Registry is 9.638. Logically, the more rare items would receive the highest weight but that is not always the case. The current leader has a quality score of 7.80 while mine (#2 on the Registry) is 6.89. If you go to the PSA web site, click on set registry and search for Brooks Master you can find my set with pictures. My quest is not necessarily to be number one but to find all of the items at the highest grade in my price range. I am missing 1 item (1975 Japan Nagashima Card with Brooks in his uniform)...I have two items at PSA for grading, which will be added soon. This will be educational for some of you while others may be annoyed or turned off. So...what I will do each week is share a year of items in the Registry expanding the knowledge of some on here, while boring others. Before I started the Registry, I had no idea Brooks had so many items from his playing days. Last week, I had a Brooks collector tell me he had all of Brooks' cards...I showed him about 10 cards he never heard of...I think I turned him off...he never responded.

This week we will start with 1957. Two items are in the Registry for Brooks for 1957, which most of you have seen...his Rookie and the Orioles Team Card, both from Topps. His rookie card is plentiful but at the PSA 8 level, they are out there but pretty pricy. This card is by far my favorite but surprisingly, not the most expensive. What a beautiful card. Later, in the 60s, one year may have 10-15 items so the weekly posts should be fun. This forum has taught me a lot so thought to share what little I have in my collection to pay it forward. I love talking about Brooks and the Registry so drop me a line if interested. I have developed a network of folks if you are missing an item and perhaps you can help me upgrade or find something new. Enjoy!
Charlie,

LOVE the idea! I think it will be great to see your Brooks Robinson Registry items on this thread and of course you can include other Orioles items from your collection as well. I’m sure we’ll “all” enjoy your amazing collection.