View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanks for all the input folks. There are at least two printings of this set, and thanks to a PM I received about this directing me to a prior Net54 thread discussing this, the complete sheets that Ted posted (thanks!) of the monotone versions (either black or red print), and some further research of sheets I could find on the web, I have come up with the earliest printing dates for each printing.

The less common duotone printing (cards with both black and red printing), which I was able to find 2 of the 4 sheets online, appears to have been printed first. The configuration of the 2 sheets is the same as what Ted has shown, but on each 6 of the baseball player spots as shown on those sheets are occupied instead by actors, golfers, aviators boxers, some of which have designs such as a zeppelin and cowboy hat on the 'Joker' cards tha have been carried over to the printing that added baseball players which I will list below:

Sheet with Cochrane in upper left:

Cowboy actor Hoot Gibson instead of Walberg, cowboy hat design on both

Zeppelin Comander Eckener instead of Hank Johnson, zeppelin design both

Boxer Jack Sharkey instead of Rhem

Actor Monte Blue instead of Myer

Aviator Jean Assolant instead of Wright

Actress Janet Gaynor instead of Aldridge

Sheet with Sherdel in upper left:

Aviator Williams instead of Sherdel

Parachutist O'Brine instead of Bell, parachute design on both

Golfer Walter Hagen instead of Maguire

Boxer Max Schmeling instead of Marberry

Aviator Lewis Yancey instead of Pipgras

Actress Deloris Costello instead of Mostil

The inclusion of Cuyler on both monotone and black/red sheets indicates an earliest printing date of November 27, 1927, the date he was traded to the Cubs, and the Bissonette inclusion further advances that date, as Bissonette did not start his MLB career until start of 1928 season.

The other black and red sheet further advances the earliest printing to May 11, 1928, as Jimmie Wilson (seen in both monotone and duotone sheets) was traded to the Cardinals on that date.

Brian