Thread: May pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2023, 11:49 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default May pickups

The vintage highlights of May so far, most of these the result of a few too many trips to a few too many local card shops:

The ‘53 Bowman Feller is a card I’m not sure I had seen before last week. Classic pose.

The ‘63 Berra was my first Berra card as a kid in the 1980’s, and I remember being confused by the “C-Coach” designation. He plays what position now? Not to be outdone on the front confusion, Topps on the back of this one further muddies the waters by listing Berra as “Catcher-OF” - so I’m sure kids in 1963 that were not already familiar with Yogi might not have been sure exactly what he did. For what it is worth, in his final player campaign in pinstripes in ‘63 - Yogi appeared in 35 games as a catcher (only). This card is far from mint, and is suffering from some of the good old Topps print snow in the black background behind Yogi’s head - but I kind of wanted one like this. Anything too minty with this card and I would be too far removed from the copy I had as a kid.

I already had a G-ish ‘58 Reese, but sometimes that high grade, pack fresh stuff just jumps out at you. Such was the case with this PSA 7 last week.

The ‘64 Rose for my money is a much better deal than his ‘63 floating head, take-out-a-second-mortgage card. One, it’s the same picture, only larger, and more detailed and more colorful. Two - that rookie cup!

I will admit I don’t exactly love the ‘64 Yogi, but got this one in trade at LCS #1 last week on some modern I regretted buying. It’s in pretty nice shape at a 5.5.

The Hunter RC and the ‘64 Mathews standup were also LCS #1 pickups a few weeks ago. That’s my first ever ‘64 Standup…

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-08-2023 at 12:15 PM.