Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 06:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's possible that the scoreboard has a detachable top section? Or did? Maybe when events other than Royals home games were being played, they removed the Royals' crown? Just speculation, but it might make sense.

Here are three shots of it. The first is sometime during the 1970's, I imagine? Native son, Harry S Truman, passed in December, 1972, so perhaps this pic was taken in 1973? He is adored out there, so it could be from any year, but the pic seems to be 1970s-ish.

2406131208_90b3ef3b59.jpg

This is obviously a recent picture, but someone must have sprayed it with 'Corona-B-Gone,' because there's no crown up there...

R.58bb8bd533278176daad5527cfb9cb72.jpeg

And this is a screenshot taken after the narrator stated that Kauffman Stadium hosted the 1973 All-Star game. The lower part of the huge crown is very evident, so it was obviously there. This is quite puzzling...

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.09.03 PM.jpg

Perhaps, it is an airbrushing job by the Topps art department, after all? We're so used to seeing their godawful 'retouching' work on caps and uniforms, that maybe this was a much easier job, just cutting and pasting parts of the bluish sky around to mask the area? Who knows why...but it could be?? What further points to that is the fact that all (or any) of those prominent, white, vertical support beams are nowhere to be found (or just faded into the sky) on the Aaron card.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.