Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 08:25 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Stoked to finally have been able to pickup a clean copy of this card. Yes, it's OC top to bottom, but that combo with the full bleed borders on '63 in terms of "noticeability" doesn't bother me in the least. I've had offgrade copies of this card with the same proportion centering s-s, and they were just dealbreakers. Other than that, very happy with the color, surface, and lack of print damage overall on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a discussion regarding off-centered cards in the pre-war forum and both sides (perfect centering vs having the card) had very strong opinions. Your 63 Mantle is a nice card by any stretch of the imagination, but being slightly off from top to bottom shouldn't detract from its collectibility. I think much of the impression that a card is less desirable if it's off-center has to do with the image and layout. My modest collection is probably around 70% off-center one way or another. For me, the individual card wears off-centering better than on other cards. Yes, I do try to upgrade certain cards that are way off-center which in turn detracts from the image, but in most cases, I'm quite satisfied. Now, rounded corners, wrinkles, and creases are an entirely different matter.

Happy collecting to all!

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete and off-centered: 1953 Bowman Color; 1971; 1972; 1974; and 1975 Topps Baseball

In progress and also off-centered: 1970 and 1973 Topps Baseball.