View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 09:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Baseball and basketball are so very different.

As far as baseball goes, a couple bits of info/suggestions.

Go find a batting cage that's up around 90. Many places have them now.
It's a real eye opener. The realization that the guy whose batting you laughed at by the stats like anyone under .200..... Is far more talented than nearly anyone. (I couldn't really even see the ball, and was happy to get an audible foul tip on the last of 50 pitches. And that's with a fairly consistent machine that wasn't trying to get me out or throwing inside. )

I played softball with a couple people who were amazing.
One had played college baseball, but left when the coach said he would have to choose engineering or baseball. -He went with the odds.

The other was a female Olympic hockey player. And was maybe the best player on the team. The guy had control trouble on infield throws because of trying to throw gently enough for the rest of us.
The Olympian? Made a throw home that I couldn't have made at all. And mentioned after that throwing like that made her unrepaired rotator cuff sore.
I usually caught, but played outfield with her a couple times. She was never out of position, never. Which made me a better outfielder, because I could go for balls I'd let drop with anyone else in the field. Simply because I knew backup was in the right spot, and had a much better arm.

I figure a woman in baseball is a someday thing.

Other sports, maybe not, or maybe only a chance thing with the right team/coach/player/situation. But in some ways that's the same thing holding many athletes back.