View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default photo 'authentication' service

Posted By: hankron

This post is to note that, starting in the next few months, I will be offering an in person and via mail photograph judgment service. This will allow folks who have questioned photos to submit them via mail for my examination and judgment ('original Conlon', 'vintage Cobb,' 'reprint'). It is likely that people will use this service if the have questions about the authenticity about an expensive photograph they own, or for other reasons desire paper documentation of the photograph. At the beginning the service will specialize in early paper baseball photographs (e.g. no tintypes), but will expand to other areas.

This service will not involve grading and there will be no holder. A certificate of documentation will be returned with the photo, and, if requested, the photo can be tagged on back. I will be insured to handle others' photographs, meaning the owners don't have to worry while the photo is in my possession. I do not intend to become like a grading service, but the insurance (in particular) will allow me to handle others photographs when desirable. In the past, I've never been able (without financial risk) of handling others photos, so regularly turned down requests to receive a photo in the mail.

I have the structure of the service well defined in my mind, but if people have suggestions on what they would like I am happy to listen.

I am not suggesting that people have to have their photos examined in person ('a card has to be graded, or it won't sell'), and there are a good number of very capable collectors and sellers on this board and elsewhere. I am merely having this service available for people who have questions about a photo and want it checked out, or for people who are confident about the photograph but want some 'official' documentation to make sale easier.

My website will continue to have available the same amount of research and guides for the use of, well, whomever wants to use it.

Thanks,