View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 09:33 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I will reiterate, my experience as a kid growing up in the 1940's and 1950's and when I got back in this great hobby (1977) is that until recently (circa 1990's),
I have never seen beveled-cornered cards in boxes such as the Sport Star Subjects. I have the SQUARE cornered cards from these boxes (an assortment of BB
cards and a near complete set of the Movie Stars).

..………… V-------- 2 7/16" ---------V by 3 7/16" length (variation is +/- 1/16")

Since some of you do not agree that it absolutely defies common sense for the BB cards in the Sport Star Subjects boxes to have ROUNDED corners.
Then consider this: there was an Album available in the early 1950's to mount these SQUARE cards (there was a scan of this Album in an earlier Post
here; however, it appears to have been withdrawn). It was typical of of Photo albums of that period, where each card fit into four diagonal slots on a
page of "N" number of slots. If these cards had ROUNDED corners back then, these slots would not hold these cards.

Anyway, it is your prerogative to think the way you do concerning these ROUNDED cards. I do not accept the legitimacy of ROUNDED cornered cards
being inserted in original (circa 1949 - 1950) Sport Stars Subjects (or Movie Star Subjects) boxes.

Furthermore, I have compared notes with veteran collectors/dealers who do not recall seeing the boxed cards containing ROUNDED corner cards back
in the 1970's - 1980's.

This "phenomena" appears to be evident since the 1990's. So far, I have surveyed 5 collectors who have such cards (from the 4 SSS boxes), and all 5
have said they acquired them since 1990's and the 2000's.

TED Z

T206 Reference