View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Stuff sells for less than expected all of the time. If you don’t want that risk don’t sell in an auction format. Leon can do what he wants but the last sentence of your first paragraph to me suggests scenarios where people “out” auctions on this board to draw attention to their consignment.

Secondly, if I scour obscure auctions to find something and I locate something I want to bid on, it’s really frustrating to come on this board and see something posted about it, particularly so when the post comes from someone who isn’t bidding.

I think Fred made a simple mistake- he was curious about a piece and asked a question after he thought the auction was over. He wasn’t outing an auction to drum up interest in the piece, which I think is a terrible thing to see happen here.
Chris- Two thoughts. I agree it is odd when someone with no financial or bidding interest outs a lot. I don't know what their motivation is other than draw attention to themselves, I guess.

Second, people can out their own consignments on the board, if I read your comment correctly. THere is a section on BST to do that, either lots one has on ebay or with an auction house.

Ideally, it's probably best not to out. But how realistic is it to assume you found something on ebay and nobody but you saw it? I think people find most of these things eventually. Sure, you may miss a chance to buy something but you will have plenty of other opportunities down the road.