View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Dave

I know we want to be all pragmatic and analytical about this, but you don't trade a guy in the middle of a historic season like this, contract year or not.

I have a hard time believing there's a lot of Angels fans out there itching to "stockpile for the future", if it costs them the rest of the season with Ohtani.

Watching Ohtani do what he does, IS their playoffs and World Series, all rolled into one right now.

From an ownership perspective, if you think there's the slightest chance you might re-sign him...you don't even give him a hint that you might be shopping him around.

If you don't think you can re-sign him, you make all the money you can off him right now. Ride that marketing train for this historic season for the next decade and beyond. You trade him now for some teams 2nd and 3rd best prospects...all that comes to an end right now.

I highly doubt MLB in general wants him to change teams either. Will take the shine off his accomplishment if it's split between two teams...while you're also expecting him to just pick up where he left off, in a completely different clubhouse and environment from where he came from.

This guy is already walking a fine line with his health and durability. I don't think anything good can come with the added stress of packing up and moving somewhere else, mid-season.