View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Yes, I loved the Card Collector's Company (Richard Gelman's Card Collector's Company) and ordered cards from them quite frequently from 1977-82 or so. I remember ordering T206 cards in "fair" condition for 50 cents each; they picked the card and back. Several of the cards I ordered looked to have fire damage, but I got a Pattee, Wiltse (portrait with cap), Snodgrass, Street, Leach, Lindaman, two McQuillans (both batting, one Tolstoi, one Piedmont), Sweeney, and Birmingham (of which I still have, and it is missing about 1/8" of the card due to fire damage). Also purchased a T201 in EX condition for $14.00; turned out to be Ward/Foster.

It was also a great place to order Topps lots (all different in lots of 25, 50, or 100). The quality of cards were very nice.

Miss the company very much. Others on here have indicated that Fritsch Cards purchased Card Collectors Company years ago; is that correct?
I recall seeing a lot of those fire damaged T206's back around the 1980's, but forget the story. I'm sure somebody on the board remembers it.