View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 AM

Default FWIW, just one person's opinion

With regards to professional authentication (opinion) companies like PSA and JSA:
Please let me state upfront, I believe that companies like these have value to the collector, especially when it comes to a big $$ signature. As several have already stated, they don't always get the "opinion" part right because they are human.

IMHO, experience has taught me when it comes to collecting signatures that you didn't actually get yourself:

Buy from dealer that you know well and trust. Legit guys always stand behind the sale. Some of the best autograph dealers that I would recommend include: Phil Marks, Bill Corcoran, Jim Stinson, Rhys Yeakley and Kevin Keating.

Take the time and responsibility to educate yourself on what a player's signature looks like prior to adding it to your collection.

When it comes time to determining the necessity that a signature be "legitimized" by a professional authentication company, use common sense. What is the liklihood that a particular player's autograph will be forged? If the liklihood is minimal, what is the value in spending the time/energy/money to have an "opinion" rendered on a sig? Sadly, there are collectors out there that feel that EVERY signature must have somebody like PSA or JSA authenticate it.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-13-2010 at 05:43 AM.