View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 04:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I'll say that there's a better than even chance I would've missed that unless I had other cards from the set in hand at the same time. Of course I would own the mistake and take card of the buyer. But though I know a lot about cards there's no way to catch everything.
To me it's less that the occasional thing slides through, which will happen, but what happens when it does.

The stamp guy I go to... hopefully still present tense, I'm not sure if he or his business has survived.. I saw him take back a coin he'd sold years before. At least 10 years, probably longer. The only question was what the buyer had paid and if they both remembered it the same. They did, check written, coin handed to the kid at the counter to see if he could spot the alteration. (I did, but knowing it was there helped a lot. Generally the are around the mintmark looked "wrong" )

PSA just don't seem to be able to get it done.
With that track record I just don't trust them.

I'd imagine a high grade unfamiliar card, or for that matter any expensive card would be a tough call in some ways. How much to trust the TPG, and how much time to spend checking up on them.