View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 12:02 PM
James M.

Default Generosity and this forum

I was going to make another thread, but I feel this fits well on this one, and I don't want to clutter the forum too much!

Really by chance I started to build a 52 Topps set. It started out passively in June of 2020. Mike going by Bocabirdman was running one of his many auctions, and I really admired the Bob Feller he had and decided I wanted to own it. I knew the lore behind the 52 Topps, really it's one of the first sets I feel like young collectors are introduced to, in the post-war era because of the iconic cards, and stories behind the high numbers and how Sy Berger supposedly dumped a bunch into the ocean. I'm going to blame Mike for starting me on this journey to eventual financial ruination, as I've decided one of my life long projects will be to finish this set,

That being said I started to pick up more cards over time, all of which I will eventually post on here in one big picture. I'm no where close to some of the people in this thread or on this forum but we all have to start somewhere. As for the point of this post, I'll stop beating around the bush. A few months ago, I made a post talking about how there were some certain cards I needed for the 52 set I'm working on. I started talking to a user Kevin or as he goes by 8thEastVB, he explained how his wife had inherited a collection, he was working on consigning it to an Auction House and he was new to the forum, but he'd be willing to sell me some cards.

We talked back and fourth, got to know each other pretty well. At one point due to truly horrendous weather, shipments were delayed, but that's just a part of life and something I totally understood. We made a deal for a few cards, they were packaged immaculately and I was very happy. One card that we kept talking about was Minnie Minoso. I was drawn to the card, but hesitant to pull the trigger. Roughly a month later, in March, I reached out to Kevin again, I wanted to buy some more cards, but I wasn't sure if he consigned them yet. Kevin assured me, he hadn't and be more than happy to sell me a few more cards. Minnie came up again, he was haunting me, I said to myself that I'd might kick myself down the road but at the time, I couldn't swing Minnie, so I purchased a few more cards, Duke Snider, Gil Hodges and Ted Kluszeswksi and went about my business.

A few days pass and my cards arrive. I take them out of the packaging and notice that for some reason, the Minnie was included! I thought this was some sort of mistake, I wanted to make sure I wasn't sent this by accident, because I didn't pay for Minnie. Kevin proceeded to send me this wonderful response:

"I added the Minnie as a gift. It wasn't going to have a big impact on what I presume will be a handful of lots of raw 52Topps. I've learned so much from reading Net54, and have received a ton of good advice that I wanted to try and pay it forward in some small way. I knew it was headed to a good home."

I was floored, and very thankful for Kevin and what he did. I meant to post this so many months ago, but life got in the way, and I figured what better time than to post it right now! It goes to show you there are still great people in this world. I'm looking forward to continuing this lifelong journey. All it takes is a single card sometimes. Minnie is below, and he says hello!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.