View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Default Pack of Churchman's Cigarettes - Did It Contain a Card?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Leon - I think everything you said is 100% accurate but I o want to clarify one thing which was probably my mistake when we spoke. With regards to the early Pirate packs (for example, those produced between lets say 1909 and 1915), there were not tax stamps adhered to them. That being said, I am unfamiliar as to if and when Great Britain may have started placing tax stamps on packs. I have seen many Pirates from the 1920's, 30's, etc and NONE seem to have them. I have also seen countless other British brands without tax stamps. However, a tax stamp, is, after all, just proof that a produced paid whatever revenue tax the government imposed on it. The US used a fairly simple system beginning in the 1870s. Great Britain did not seem to follow suit. I would imagine, however, that at some point, Great Britain must have employed tax stamps (although I'm not sure when) or if not, had some other way of taxing tobacco.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com