View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 12:49 PM
Rob

Yes, the A's of '71 thru '76 after which they had pretty much been dissolved were to me as the Orioles were to you. Joe Rudi and Campy were my favorites. Rudi was a quiet, classy guy who was I believe an underrated player, and man Campy was a spark plug for that team. I loved Hunter, Bando, Tenace, Green,and Holtzman as well, and heck, there were so many others who contributed. Was never a big Reggie fan, obviously enjoyed his contributions, but not his demeanor, and still feel Campy should have won the MVP over Reggie in the '73 Series.

Yes, it is probably the older collector base which admired Brooks. I just checked our local shop, the only real shop in our entire region I think, and he has more Brooks cards than I ever remember him having. Guess sales are slowing. But threads like yours help keep the memories alive. I have a small collection of Brooks' cards, and hope to slowly acquire a few more as the years go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Rob,

Hope you enjoy. The Oakland Athletics did really well in the early to mid 70’s when Brooks’ career was basically winding down. Those A’s teams had some great players and some unique personalities over the years. Who were your favorites?

I’m sure Brooks is still relatively popular in Arkansas since that’s where he was from originally. He probably isn’t as popular as he was during his playing days, but still is admired.