View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Jason that is a wonderful collection and the way you have it displayed is magnificent. What is the approximate date of the red Duluth pennant? I have a similar pennant for my Alma-mater Henderson-Brown College in Arkansas.
Thanks for the compliment. The answer to your question is going to start arguement. I would contend this is a Duluth Eskimos pennant. Others would disagree as I too have seen many pennants like this with most of them being college which dominated in those days. Pro football was barbaric until guys like Nevers and Grange made it ok to most.

I paid quite a bit for this pennant at auction a number of years ago so, other than shill bidding, at least one other person agrees with me. The college in Duluth was an all girls teaching college until 1929 and only then opened to men and had some type of football program. I highly doubt a program like this would have put out such a nice pennant like this. Also, I grew up in Duluth and have been collecting / dealing for over 30 years and have never seen another.

Adding to that, I believe this pennant originated from the east coast and the Eskimos were a mainly traveling team which took them out east. I have seen an exact match for New York (blue I think). Again, this doesn't prove anything but Nevers brought huge crowds along with Grange to the east coast games.

Doesn't matter either way to me because it is what it is to me. Others will disagree, including Dave Bushing, but I don't care. I am extremely knowledgeable in vintage pennants and I was comfortable enough with to shell out well for it when I bought it from Lelands.

I am hoping to see more vintage football items as the site is dominated by baseball, which I also like. Just good to see some football now and then.