View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Ferguson, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Of course I am biased but this board is freaking unbelievable sometimes. Absolutely unbelievable. Thanks for posting these pennants guys!!

And here is a blotter card I hope to acquire one day....I think one of our board members (in this thread?) owns it...
Leon,
Thanks for posting the Ferguson Bakery advertising blotter. It illustrates a conundrum that has long plagued this longtime collector of the D381 set. To wit: The pennants on the pillow top as well as the large premium pennant of Evers do not match the BF2s commonly labeled Ferguson issues nor the large pennants displayed in this thread. The format is similar, but the design is different and the photos are all portraits rather than the full action shots adorning BF2s and oversize pennants. In fact, the photos on this blotter (and the actual pillow tops) match those used in the D381 sets produced by Ferguson (and the Fleischmann Bakery of NYC), rather than the BF2 images, which emanate from the M101-4 and 5 sets we now know were a product of the Mendelsohn Co. of Chicago.
It seems unlikely Ferguson would have purchased Mendelsohn photos for this promotion when it already had the Underwood & Underwood pictures it used in D381. In addition, BF2s are not found predominantly in the Boston area as one might expect if issued by a Boston bakery. In fact, they turn up throughout the country, which seems strange since Ferguson did not distribute nationally (I believe Ferguson was purchased around this time by the Ward Co. of NY, which did have a larger footprint, however). Of course, someone may have found a direct connection between Ferguson and the BF2s and large pennants, but this advertising blotter is not the missing link.
Bob Richardson, who also is in the market for a Ferguson blotter, though I do have a similar version advertising the Fleischmann set.

Last edited by spec; 01-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.