View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Al Richter

Default MB

Agree with Cliff. We have an MB master collector on the board., goheels. He has several complete games and several set. He has even done a sheet layout. There is a thread in here with all of that. I will try to find it.

PSA has always had a hard time recognizing true MBs. The back differences are noticeable in the MB and regular counterparts, but later series cards in the regular set have the same color backs as the MBs and many dealers mistakenly or fraudulently offer them as MBs. The Mantle has been offered as an MB by some.

Unless you have both versions in hand together, I think a grader not familiar with the MB and regular Topps differences would have a hard time distinguishing the two, just like they have had trouble with the 1962 non pose green tint differences

I keep one of the Cox and Brinkman cards with my MB set and one with my regular set since they are listed as a variation by most guides and PSA. But they always have MB backs.

I think PSA started listing them as variations before anyone realized the MB connection. They are now part of hobby lore.

They have even mislabeled the Ryan on one occasion ;-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-10-2016 at 10:32 AM.